The new year is a great time to set some new goals and resolutions for yourself. Typically people focus on losing weight, eating better or stopping a bad habit. Those may or may not apply to your situation but if you’ve recently been through a divorce or a separation you know it’s an even better time to start fresh and make plans to move forward. Here are a few resolutions for those who are recently divorced or separated from a significant other:
- Get your finances in order. Going through a divorce has likely been a financial burden. If you now have new alimony or child support payments to consider, now is the time to sit down and make a plan for how you’ll handle that. If your spouse was working to pay the majority of the bills, it may be time to consider a new career that can increase your salary. There are many budgeting programs available online to help you manage your finances on lower income. Find one that works for you and make a resolution to stick to it. Making this a priority now will help you move forward with confidence.
- Maintain consistency when possible. Your kids are going through a difficult time right now too. Make a resolution to be there for them in every way possible. Plan phone calls, text messages and other ways to reach out and let them know they are loved even when you are apart. Keep track of school events and make a plan with your ex to maintain a close relationship. Try to stick to the same schedule and keep things predictable for your child.
- Avoid placing blame. Now that the divorce or separation is final, it’s time to let go of any bitter feelings you’ve been holding onto. Try to remind yourself of the things you can respect about your ex. This may be easier said than done but at the very least, keep those words of hurt and anger away from the kids. Work on being a good co-parent and stick to that.
- Focus on the future. There are many things about your past you cannot control but make a plan now to take control of the future. This is a good time to look over your estate plan and make sure it is up to date. Take stock of your current career and whether or not it leaves you feeling fulfilled. Take steps to find your passion.
- Take care of yourself. If caring for yourself is difficult right now, surround yourself with a community that can help. Make some new friends by trying out a new hobby or traveling somewhere new. You might consider joining a church if you don’t have one already. Find what makes you truly happy in a relationship and in life.
Divorce is never easy but having a compassionate, experienced attorney on your side makes a difference. If you’re struggling with a legal issue related to divorce, give us a call.
Pangerl Law Firm P.L.L.C. focuses on divorce, child custody, mother’s and father’s rights, child support, and all other areas of family law, as well as personal injury claims. Our office is located in Deer Valley and serves the greater Phoenix area, including the communities of Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale, Cave Creek, Avondale, Goodyear, Surprise, Mesa, Tempe, Anthem, New River, North Phoenix and Phoenix. For more information, call: 602-942-6200.