Abuse is more than just physical violence. It’s a pattern of controlling behavior used to intimidate. For example, abuse can include physical abuse, emotional or verbal abuse, sexual abuse, reproductive coercion, financial abuse, digital abuse, or stalking.
October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Here are some common signs of domestic abuse from the National Domestic Violence Hotline:
- Telling you that you never do anything right.
- Showing extreme jealousy of your friends or time spent away from them.
- Preventing or discouraging you from spending time with friends, family members, or peers.
- Insulting, demeaning, or shaming you, especially in front of other people.
- Preventing you from making your own decisions, including about working or attending school.
- Controlling finances in the household without discussion, including taking your money or refusing to provide money for necessary expenses.
- Pressuring you to have sex or perform sexual acts you’re not comfortable with.
- Pressuring you to use drugs or alcohol.
- Intimidating you through threatening looks or actions.
- Insulting your parenting or threatening to harm or take away your children or pets.
- Intimidating you with weapons like guns, knives, bats, or mace.
- Destroying your belongings or your home.
- Pushing you, hitting you, kicking you, or any other form of physical aggression and harm.
If you are in an abusive relationship, there is help available. You can receive guidance 24/7 through the National Domestic Violence Hotline. Call 1-800-799-7233.
For legal help leaving an abusive relationship, we can help. We can help with Orders of Protection, legal separation or divorce. Please call Pangerl Law Firm today.
There are domestic violence shelters to help protect victims in a domestic violence relationship. Seek help immediately and break the cycle of violence before it is too difficult to leave the relationship.
Pangerl Law Firm P.L.L.C. focuses on divorce, child custody, mother’s and father’s rights, child support, and all other areas of family law, as well as personal injury claims. Our office is located in Deer Valley and serves the greater Phoenix area, including the communities of Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale, Cave Creek, Avondale, Goodyear, Surprise, Mesa, Tempe, Anthem, New River, North Phoenix and Phoenix. For more information, call: 602-942-6200.